What's in Android 4.1 Jelly BeanThere's a lot in the new update. Here's a selection of the goodies available.
- Live wallpapers - users can select a live wallpaper directly from your app
- More powerful App stack navigation
- Gapless playback on separate MediaPlayer objects
- Android Beam supports large file transfers
- Copy and Paste with Intents
- Notifications are more customisable
- Roboto has more font style variants
If you want to see the whole list, check out the the official version page.
How to update Android for API 16
Grab the Android API 16 by running the Android SDK Manager.
For Windows users, run <android install directory>/tools/android.bat.
Make sure to Sort by API Level and check the Updates/New and Installed boxes.
Download all updates you need from the Tools and Extras directories. Make sure you get the Google USB Driver so you can continue to debug on device.
Once the Tools and Extras have been updated and installed, check the Android 4.1 (API 16) box and hit "Install [x] packages..."
Select the radio button "Accept All" then hit Install.
Nearly there! Once the packages are installed, close the Android SDK Manager window and open up Eclipse.
Open the Help menu and select Check for Updates. This should always be done after updating the Android SDK so Eclipse can run smoothly with Android.
Once all your modules are up to date, restart Eclipse for good measure and continue developing for Android!